Sunday, January 1, 2012

January 1st, Resolutions 0... They just don't work.

Today being the first day of 2012, makes people reflect on their past year and try to find better ways to improve themselves in the next year.  This is often followed by a list of things that the person wants to change or complete.  First and foremost on the list for most.... Lose Weight.  (Can you hear my laughter?)  Be happy with who you are, accept yourself and others will accept you no matter what!  If you want to change...Change.  But don't call it a New Year's Resolution, because when you look back on next year, you don't want to say, "I failed last year so this year... I'm going to do it!" I'm sure we've all heard that wonderful definition of stupidity, right?

For us writers, weight usually isn't the first thing on our lists.  It's something about our craft, our writing time, whatever... and unfortunately for most of us, we fail these as well.  The one's that make it?  The one's that have new books that are being published, or short stories in magazines, or whatever. 

It's not resolutions or promises that we should be making for ourselves... "I want to write my novel this year and will get it published."  Promises to yourself can just be broken when life gets in the way.

It's goals that we should set for ourselves.  Measurable, achievable and flexible.  These are the things that will work.   They will keep us on track, and when you finish one of your shorter term goals, you'll be well on your way to those long term goals.

In essence, next year, you can be one of those that say, "Hey, this year I completed these goals.  These need some work, and these I didn't complete.  But these goals will be the ones I set for the next year. I will do my best to complete these the best I can."

So, I start today with not a resolution, but a goal.  A measurable, achievable goal. 
Goal number 1:  I will read one page a day in "The Writer's Workout" by Christina Katz.  I will try to follow the advice and the recommendations of the author or coach.  And I will have completed reading the entire book by the end of the year, honed my writing skills, focused on one small task at a time, and learned to grow as a writer. 

Best of luck to all out there with your goals and let's make this a year for writing!
Lisa Adams 

No comments:

Post a Comment