Saturday, October 22, 2011

Preparing for NaNo- Pantser becomes Plotter

For years I have been a mixture of these two characters.  "How can that be?" you ask.  Well, let me explain.   When I come up with an idea for a novel, I do a quick sketch so to say, beginning, middle end.  This usually only takes about half a page in hand written format.  Then, I take that sketch and turn it into a chapter by chapter VERY loose draft.  This may take a page or a page and a half.  Then, I start to write.  Once I begin though, I find that by chapter 4 my characters are doing something different and leading off of the original path.  So, I go with it.  Unfortunately, within about 3 or 4 chapters after the side step, I cannot complete my novel.  Things just seemed to mixed up and confused.  Obviously this doesn't work. 

So, this year I've been reading a lot about how others have completed NaNoWriMo, and I read a great idea.  One particular participant claims that they have written out their novel into 30 specific scenes and she writes only one scene per day, allowing her to complete her novel and the WriMo contest in exactly one month.  This sounds like a novel idea to me, if you'll excuse the pun. 

So in the next week, my plan is to not only sketch out my novel, but actually do a 30 scene plot roller coaster to keep me on schedule.  If anyone else does this, or has tried in the past... let me know how it works out.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment