Monday, October 17, 2011

Hook to Story... Am I cheating on NaNoWriMo?

Okay, so I think I have a great idea for my hook on NaNoWriMo, or at least a good one.  So I decided during soccer practice today, I would try writing some plot points into an outline to better prepare myself.  After about 10 minutes of that, I started character sketches.  Two minutes into it, and WHAM!  I'm slapped upside my head with a scene.  Instead of just writing down notes, I flesh it all out.   Completed writing in my journal of the whole scene.  Only about 400 words, but man do I feel guilty.  I'm not supposed to be writing on this project yet, just brainstorming.  Some will say it's not fair, it's against the rules of NaNo and call me a cheat.  And undoubtedly, some will tell me they've written their whole novel before Nov. 1 and just feed it into the program sometime on November so they can claim their prizes and web badges. 

So, I'm actually feeling guilty over this, but I'm not willing to scrap what I have or to make something new.  What can I do?  Maybe, I can force myself to only write 1,266 words the first day.  That would at least keep me on track with the program and not feel so guilty I guess.  But then again, I'm conflicted because I feel like I've opened up that world and now so much wants to be let out and typed out on page. 

Does anyone else feel like this?
Lisa Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment