Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Review of "Spooktacular Seductions" Anthology

What's New to Review ~ Wednesday!

Good morning, Readers! It's been awhile since I've posted a review, and I apologize but as I was told this week by my mechanic "I've got nothing but excuses." (Yeah, it's been that kind of week.) So, I'll spare you mine. Let's just jump into the goodies!

The Book: 

I absolutely love anthologies. I DO! Probably because I am mother, an author, and I also work outside the home. Short stories and anthologies are perfect or me. I can read a quick story. Finish it. And yet, not feel like I've wasted my day neglecting all my other duties that I must perform. (I'm sure there are others of you out there that feel like that as well.) Then, whenever, I get the next few minutes of downtime, I can read another one.

Now, beyond the way these stories fit so well into my busy life, can I just say... I absolutely adore how so many writer's can come up with absolutely crazy different stories from just one sentence, theme, or topic. It truly is amazing to me!

Spooktacular Seductions was released October 31st from Roane Publishing. With the only the title of the anthology given to the author's as their inspiration, this anthology led to an incredible mix of stories. Eight stories all together, with everything from ghosts, witches, voodoo shaman, angels, psychics, and serpent creatures, create this incredible piece of work.

The Plot: 

Well each one is different of course. And I don't want to spend ALL night writing this. So let me just run through the highlights.

Bewitching Gypsy by Linda Carroll-Bradd- A naturalist gypsy, effective in healing, and from the old world. She has suffered loss and emotional heartbreak. But maybe, just maybe, the universe is willing to reward her for her good deeds. The most mystical of the lot.

Garden of Souls by Michelle Ziegler- Living in a haunted house next to a cemetery can lead to trouble, especially if that trouble includes a delicious male ghost that is taken with you. Maybe the most heart clenching of the stories.

If This be Madness by Echo Shea- An old hag, and a love to last a lifetime that guides her from misdeeds. I'd say this story is the creepiest of the collection, which is awesome.

Ghost of a Chance by Lily Carlyle- Being tied to the real world can have it's problems. Least of all, the everyday problems in the inner city. But, things get interesting when an old flame shows up in town. The Suspense genre is alive and well here!

Do You Believe in Ghosts by Ann Higa- Just how long can a psychic medium hold on to life after she's dead? As long as it takes. The best twist ending of the collection.

Encantado by Havva Murat- Probably that spookiest of the anthology, again awesomeness. Set in ruined SIX Flags in New Orleans, the author goes to great detail of the decay and murder is high on the list.

Where Angels Tread by Christy Thomas- The reals between the worlds are not as definite as you may think and love that lasts centuries is very real. The most romantic, definitely.

Spooky Hollow Cafe' by Lisa A. Adams- When a mortal and a ghost both fall for a which, chaos is sure to ensue. (My own story so no rewards for myself. I find that too self-centered.)

The Verdict:

Overall, every single story had me turning the pages. From romantic, to creepy, to action packed, to paranormal... each had a way of grabbing me at the beginning and leading me through to some incredible endings. The stories were tight, with great plots, good characterizations, and a few twists that had my heart pumping for one reason or another. So, if you haven't guessed by now...
 It's a "Five Cups of Love" Read!

Get your copy at these locations... ebook or print!
Purchase Links:

 
Next week, I'll be back and I have a more well known author I'm reviewing. I've purchased Crazy, Stupid, Sex by Maisey Yates and Harlequin's newest line "Red-Hot Cosmo Reads". Can't wait to tell you about it!
 
Until next time, Keep reading!
~Lisa

4 comments:

  1. I loved Spooky Hallow Café! Since you couldn't say anything, I had to. Thanks for reviewing Spooktacular Seductions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I value your opinion! (I just feel awkward about commenting on my own stories.)

      Delete
  2. I must agree with Michelle. I loved Aggie and The Spooky Hollow Cafe'. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aggie was incredibly fun to write. To have that kind of power and be as humble as she was. I just had to tell her story. Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for your opinion!

      Delete